God VS. Money

 

YouTube channel: Radically New Life

(Note: To date, this is the most read post of all our posts. There is definitely a reason you have been drawn to this topic of God vs. Money. Please do share any comments you have about this post after you have read it. We GREATLY appreciate hearing from any of you…even if you choose to disagree).


We know how much God loves us, and we have put our trust in his love. God is love, and all who live in love live in God, and God lives in them.

(I John 4:16)

 

One of the most shocking teachings of Jesus I can think of is the choice He gives us in this verse:

“No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.” (Matthew 6:24)

Consider this verse for a while. The word “serve” is used twice, and it implies the concept of working for someone. You can’t work at two different jobs at the same time, right? You can either work at the restaurant, or you can work at the clothing store. But you cannot possibly work at both of these jobs at the exact same time.

Jesus uses very strong, clear, expressive language here to really bring this point home to us. Why would Jesus place God and Money at opposite ends of the spectrum? Most people who have any rough idea of some of Jesus’ teachings assume that Jesus would say it was a choice between us serving God or the Devil. But no, that’s not the choice we are presented with here. Again, we have to really wonder, WHY?

A lot of religious folks try to interpret this saying of Jesus to mean something like: “Well, you gotta put God first in your life.” True. But then these same people will try to further soften the impact of this amazing teaching by stating things like: “You know, ANYTHING can become an idol in our lives, and God sees it all the same.” To some extent, there is some truth here as well. If someone, most often a professing Christian, tries to put forward this argument to me, it really does seem like they are trying to do everything they can to avoid dealing with the straight forward choice Jesus is giving us in this passage. It bears repeating: NO ONE can serve (i.e., work for) God AND Money. According to Jesus, we HAVE to choose, working for one or the other, remembering that God is LOVE.

If we understand that “serving” is typically defined as “working for”, how do we choose to work for God instead of money? For example, can you serve Satan without working for him?  In the context it’s clear that “serve” and “work for” have the same meaning.

Think about how we have come to accept that working for money is simply a fact of life. We spend time at our various jobs, and are then given a certain amount of money in order to compensate us for services rendered. This seems so unbelievably natural to us, doesn’t it? But the amazing truth is that the idea of working for money is a system that humans designed for themselves. And now we are enslaved by this very ideology.

People usually respond to us at this point by saying that there is no other choice; this is how we have to survive these days. But is that really true? Jesus lived in times similar to what we live in now, with regards to people working for money. He obviously knew exactly what money meant to the world around him. However, if one is perceptive enough, they will take note that Jesus had no job as he spent those three years as a wandering Teacher. Moreover, He even told those who wanted to follow Him that they would have to quit their jobs as well! He taught His followers that God would feed and clothe anyone who chose to let go of their own lives, and begin working for God.

Compare these two verses:

“The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.  Go! I am sending you out like lambs among wolves. Do not take a purse or bag or sandals.” (Luke 10:2-4)

“Then Jesus asked them, ‘When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?’ ‘Nothing,’ they answered.” (Luke 22:35)

And then there’s this:

Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds in the sky. They don’t plant or harvest or gather food into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. You are more valuable than they are, aren’t you? Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, yet [King] Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith? Don’t worry and ask yourselves, ‘Will we have anything to eat? Will we have anything to drink? Will we have any clothes to wear?’  Only people who don’t know God are always worrying about such things. Your Father in heaven knows that you need all of these. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need. So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today.” (Matthew 6:25-34)

 What if we seriously believed that a loving God would literally take care of all of our material needs (not wants, but needs)? We have found that trusting God to take care of our needs is well worth the leap of faith! Of course, this necessarily implies that instead of wasting our lives working for money, we are now free to spend our time working for God. This can take on many different forms, but the bottom line is sharing the Teachings of Jesus with a world that is desperate for real answers. And believe us, serving God is infinitely more rewarding than serving Money.  Another benefit is that there are plenty of positions available to begin working for God right now, and you don’t have to ever worry about losing your job when you work for the Creator of the universe!

 

Advertisements

About livewithoutlovingmoney

Welcome to the intersection of economics & and love! We are Christians who are disgusted with the money system worship of the Churches. We call it "Churchianity" and nothing could be further from what Jesus Christ taught than what is commonly preached in most churches around the world. His profoundly revolutionary and unrivaled teachings about love, if practiced, open our eyes to the matrix of greed that he came to free us from. Read more to discover the message that centuries of church dogma & doctrine have attempted to hide from you.
This entry was posted in God versus Money and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to God VS. Money

  1. I’m just wrestling with this at the minute. If money was no object I would be on the Asian mission field in a heartbeat, instead I’m working in the UK for 6 months, going out there for a month and so on and so on. Is this rally to be the pattern of my life?!

    Do I have faith and just book a one way ticket and ‘see what happens’?!

    Like

    • Hi Simon, thanks for sharing your struggle, and it’s nice to hear your willingness to even consider taking it all by faith and just getting a one way ticket.

      What we find most concerning about a situation like yours is the obvious fact that many churches can’t seem to find it in their budgets (i.e. their heart –Mt. 6:21) to cover expenses for someone inspired enough to share the gospel with the world.

      Perhaps you are not involved with any particular church, but if you are, I would suggest a meeting with whoever runs the show there and see if you can, with prayer and patience, try to inspire them along the lines of opening up their budget to support your desire for missionary outreach.

      The fact that you would even have to address this issue is one of the main points we have been raising about the love of money (greed) being THE root of ALL evil. And the churches simply have NOT shown themselves to be an exception to this truth about greed. Unfortunately, the way many of them view missionary work is often just one more way for them to make money.

      Who knows though, maybe you can convince your church that it can certainly afford to pay for the reasonable expenses of you and another Christian brother to go over to share the love and teachings of Jesus with others.

      On the other hand, there really isn’t any reason that you MUST start out by going to some distant land to preach the gospel. If you look around your own stomping grounds there in the UK you will see just as desperate a need to remind people of Jesus’ love and teachings. Amen!?

      And one way we’ve gone about doing this that you may consider applying is by making up your own gospel infused literature, dvd’s, whatever, and just spend some time out on the streets where you live offering whatever you produce for any donation that people would be willing to share so that you can create even more literature or whatever to distribute.

      After doing this for quite a while you may one day find yourself wanting to witness full time in this way, and before you know it, you might realize that this could be the ONLY job you want to do since it provides far more satisfaction than whatever else has kept you busy, even if you make much less by working on a donation basis.

      Of course you would probably want to reconsider some of your living standards as it can be easy to overlook all of the wasteful spending we do when the money rolls in from a regular paycheck. Also, learning how to forsake or let go of unnecessary material things would be another way that you could help finance your outreach. Selling items that have kept you in the cycle of needing a job to pay for them, which some would rightly call a form of wage-slavery, such as a car whose primary purpose was to get you to your job in the first place! Looking at it like this, it starts to appear like the “logic” of insanity, doesn’t it?! ;0)

      Anyways, I’ve rambled on enough for now, but I would be very keen to hear some thoughts from you about all of this when you are able.

      In love and peace–

      Like

      • Sean says:

        To me this is all a load of garbage. The reason why people have to believe in god Is because they didn’t educate themselves good enough. Now they r broke and want to retire but they cant. Where is your god now. No where to be found. So next time you think God over money. I would seriously rethink what you are about to do. Money talks and god well we all know the saying.

        Like

      • Hi Sean, thanks for being brave enough to leave a comment, even if it’s obvious that we’ve reached completely opposite conclusions about life and God.

        I notice that you mention how people who “didn’t educate themselves good enough” have to believe in God. Did you mean to say “people who aren’t well educated”? It’s just a thing I have with using better grammer—you know, one of those silly things about appreciating education! 😉

        Peace–

        Like

  2. C. Lew says:

    May The True Eternal Creator bless the person behind this blog! This is so true! I was working at at a job making good money, but everyday, my boss would tear me down. My “self esteem” had always been low so daily assaults were spiritual torture.
    Reading the word…really reading alone, prayer before and after..guidance and gratitude.
    This verse and the way it spoke to you, it spoke the same to me! Serve =work for. Praise God.
    I quit my job..not easy, but I stepped out on faith in God. I got closer through walks and prayer, bible reading and fasting. The beauty..even in struggle. The desert…I was blessed with awareness, but firstly awareness that it all starts and ends with the Most High.
    This really got me at a deep place heart-wise, again may you be blessed.
    Simon Crowe, may he guide your ministry as He wills. May He bless and keep you.
    Sean…our culture is quite influential. It can make us doubt the truly best things in life. I hope you’re well. May he bless and keep you.
    Could His Kingdom on Earth be based on a love economic system?

    Like

  3. Tawanda says:

    Guys first of i want thank you for the clarification. God over Everything,

    My thoughts on this God over money subject are One needs to understand that God is Everything and to compare him with a substance that Man (Created by God) made is like Comparing ones worth to that of a Stool or Clothing. Sean I hope the Lord has shed light in your life by now. Proverbs 9:10

    Like

  4. jessa says:

    hi, I’m just wondering if it’s wrong to earn money to help the poor. I’m just confused because by helping the poor there is money involved. I know that I can help without using money but in order to give jobs to people and help them with their daily needs I have to earn money through doing business. Is it wrong?

    Like

    • Hi Jessa,

      Thanks for writing in! You have asked a reasonable question, one which a lot of people do ask us about.

      I think it is best to be VERY honest with ourselves regarding our motive for earning money. Most people don’t earn a paycheck simply for the sake of helping the poor. If Jesus thought earning money was the answer to helping the poor, it’s extremely likely that we would have Him recorded as having declared this in the gospels. The fact is that we simply cannot find Jesus using this sort of reasoning in the gospels.

      What is more interesting is that Jesus DID command us to sell ALL that we have and give the money we made from selling everything to the poor. This is part of his instructions to us called “forsaking all” as recorded in Luke 14:33:

      “So then, none of you can be My disciple who does not give up all his own possessions.

      ..and again in Luke !2:32-34:

      32″Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has chosen gladly to give you the kingdom. 33″Sell your possessions and give to charity; make yourselves money belts which do not wear out, an unfailing treasure in heaven, where no thief comes near nor moth destroys. 34″For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

      Jesus also states emphatically that we can either work for God or work for money, but He says we cannot do both. It’s either one or the other:

      No man can work for two masters, for either he will hate one and will love the other, or he will honor one and the other he will ignore. You cannot work for God and for money.

      (Matthew 6:24).

      The real question is this: are we willing to take Jesus at his word, or do we think we’ve found a way that is superior to the wisdom of the One who grants eternal life? While on the surface it sounds noble to work for a paycheck and give some of that to the poor, our lives are wasted away working for the very thing (money) that is the actual cause of poverty. The money system and all it represents is man’s foolish and greedy attempts to steal from each other the resources that were made freely available to all of us. Think about this for a moment: Humans are the only species on this planet who actually make each other PAY to live here. The animals and plant life on this planet aren’t expecting pay from one another to exist. A tree doesn’t charge us when it freely feeds us with its fruit or enriches the earth with its oxygen.

      So in conclusion, I would advise that you take Jesus seriously and literally on this all important teaching. Our good intentions to work for money in order to supposedly help the poor usually fall by the wayside once we begin to struggle for our own needs. (Although most people in the west are not truly struggling for needs, but are often obsessed with accumulating the things they want/desire).

      Instead of dreaming of starting some business to employ the poor, why not sell all of your possessions, give the proceeds to the poor, then come and work for God in a world gone mad with materialism? Part of working for God requires us to share this part of the message that came from Jesus. It may not be popular, and most professing “christians” will not even bother trying this. If anyone who says they believe in Jesus is not prepared to do these things in obedience to our Lord, they shouldn’t expect the eternal life promised to those who TRY to truly follow the teachings of Jesus.

      What do you think, Jessa?

      Like

  5. peter says:

    Hi, my parents are atheist and they don’t practiced any form of religion at all. When I went to basic Christian Seminar a few days ago, they are extremely upset and mentioned a question that I couldn’t answer. They asked me “how does talking about God any use when you have no money? Instead, you will end up in the street.”

    Like

    • Hi Peter,

      Thanks for writing to us. It’s an interesting question that your parents have asked you, but I’m not sure if I correctly understand it. Are your parents assuming you will become a preacher of some kind in a church? Most parents, even atheist parents I would assume, wouldn’t automatically equate being a preacher or becoming a missionary with “ending up on the street.” Could you help us to understand WHY your parents made this connection? Preachers/Pastors in a church are usually paid a salary, and missionaries that go into other parts of the world are more often than not funded by their particular home churches. In both those cases it would presumably be easy to calm your parents’ concern that you would end up broke and on the streets.

      BTW, did you receive one of our booklets recently? Could this be the real cause of concern for your parents? In our booklet and on our website we take a very strong stance against working for money based on Jesus’ clear teachings on the subject. (See Matthew 6:24-34 & Luke 16:13-15).

      Any further elaboration you could offer us would help us to try and help you.

      Like

  6. Johan says:

    It is interesting on how money can give a ‘godlike’ power. Somehow it sounds very similar to the first temptation of humankind where it said something like ‘ you will be like god’. No wonder at the end all these ‘babylon’ will be destroyed.

    Regarding about having no jobs and depends on other to support us…..i think it would be fair to give a thought on how Paul self support himself. we can see these hints in 1cor9.

    therefore it would be better for us as ‘christians’ to support each other that way than simply ‘selling words of GOD’ for covering up our own greed, since it is written that there are many parts in a body.

    Liked by 1 person

    • Interesting point and connection you make, Johan, about money having a god-like power and how that relates to the serpent tempting the first free-loaders in the garden of Eden! ;0) Remember that it was a “curse” that followed their disobedience to God, and thereafter it was said that they would have to “EARN their bread by the sweat of their brow”. How do you suppose they ate before that curse?

      As far as the reference you make to Paul making tents for a while, an old friend of ours wrote a fascinating article or bible study that can help clear up the misconceptions that surround this false notion that we should follow Paul in preference to Christ on this issue, especially since Paul later repented for exactly what this tent-making myth supports. I’ll attach that great study to this post (below).

      In the meantime, I just wanted to address what you said about it being better

      “for us as ‘Christians’ to support each other that way than simply ‘selling words of GOD’ for covering up our own greed, since it is written that there are many parts in a body.”

      To start with, way back in the book of Acts, chapters 2 & 4, our 1st century brothers and sisters actually DID support each other and even lived together and shared ALL their property/possessions in common. Imagine that! Modern church-goers can barely put up with each other for one day of the week, and you can bet that it’d be incredibly hard to find a handful of them who would literally & lovingly share their homes and possessions with each other!

      Part of their reasoning for doing so, besides demonstrating the practical, economic reality of love that Christ taught was that they were living counter-CULTurally, as you can imagine and have probably read about in historical accounts by now. Their decision to follow Christ actually put them at extreme odds with the dominant culture around them to the point that they HAD to learn how to band together for survival. Following Christ back then is nothing like the cost-free, essentially irrelevant theological “decision” it has become.

      Now onto your point about the work we do of getting Jesus’ love and teachings out to the world, please recall, as you read this, what you said about there being “many parts of the body of Christ” and how strange it is to condemn our particular “part” while defending all other parts of that body that work specifically for money.

      We can both agree with St. Paul that there are “many parts to the body of Christ”. But what do you suppose it is that causes us to interpret that particular passage through a lens of money making?

      Is it really fair to automatically assume that “selling words of God” (as in the Christian “zines” we make and distribute for ANY donation, even a piece of gum!) is somehow covering up OUR greed while working for a paycheck just about anywhere in the world and for purposes that more often than not have absolutely nothing to do with sharing the love and teachings of Christ is NOT at all about greed? Please ask yourself if you would personally be willing to forsake all the easily accumulated wealth a “regular job” offers to instead get out and share the gospel of Jesus for whatever people felt led to share, even if that often meant absolutely nothing.

      I think that covers what I wanted to cover so far, but I also wanted to remind you to read through this fairly short article about the mistake that we make in following Paul’s mistake of making tents. Here it is:

      “Catholics, Evangelicals, Pentecostals, High and Low Church Anglicans, Jehovah’s Witnesses, the Children of God, Mormons – in fact, every denomination and sect we know of – has one belief in common: they all support the tentmaking myth.

      The tentmaking myth says God’s plan is for everyone to work for money, because that’s what St. Paul did during his entire life. And it is taught more universally than any other so-called Christian doctrine.

      The world would have never known Paul made tents were it not for one verse in the Book of Acts. Though the Bible says Peter, Andrew, James, and John all forsook their fishing businesses when they followed Jesus (Matthew 4:18-22), and Matthew stopped collecting taxes (Luke 5:28), the tent-making myth says Paul never stopped making tents, and it would have been wrong if he had.

      Ministers who live off the donations of their flock invoke the tentmaking argument against anyone else in their church who shows signs of trusting God to supply their needs as they attempt to preach the gospel. The professional ministers argue that they never did anything so reckless as to trust God for their support. They attended the denomination’s Bible school or seminary, then thrashed out legal terms of employment which guaranteed that they would never go without. True, they don’t make tents; but they leave no doubt in the minds of their congregation that they are working for the wage and not for love… which is what the tentmaking cornerstone is really about anyway.

      If Paul had spent his whole life making tents (and one wonders how he managed all his missionary journeys if he was busy running a tent company), would it really prove the other disciples were wrong? And would it make Christ’s teachings about taking no thought for food or clothing (Matthew 6:19-34), going into all the world preaching the gospel (Mark 16:15), forsaking all (Luke 14:33), and not working for food (John 6:27) heretical? If so, then we must assume Paul alone has the words of eternal life, and Jesus is a fraud. And that is exactly what the tentmaking myth tries to say.

      In fact, it goes further than that. It even says that if Paul contradicts it, he is a fraud. See, Paul says (1 Corinthians 7:21-23) that any slave who has the opportunity to be free should use it. “Don’t let God’s free people become anyone’s slave,” he says. Referring to God’s responsibility to provide for the needs of his servants, Paul says, “No one who joins an army pays his own wage.” (1 Corinthians 9:7) He says it is only fair that those who feed the world spiritually be fed in return. (1 Corinthians 9:9-14)

      So where did the tentmaking myth come from? It came from a short time in Paul’s life when he backslid. “Backslid?!” gasp worshippers of Paul in horror. Yes, great as he was, Paul was fallible. He made mistakes like the rest of us mortals. And he never wanted us to follow him in areas where he strayed from the gospel of Christ. (Galatians 1:8)

      ‘Backsliding’ doesn’t always mean a turn-around from loving Christ to hating him. It can be a momentary lapse of concentration, during which we substitute our human reasoning for the clear directions that God has given us. That is what happened to Paul.

      Here is the true story of what happened: Paul arrived in Corinth on his own. (Acts 18:1) He usually traveled with at least one other Christian (as Jesus commanded–Luke 10:1), but this time he was on his own. He met some prospective converts (Acts 18:2) who offered him a job in their tent company, and he accepted. (v. 3) He still preached on weekends (v. 4), but the rest of the time he apparently witnessed ‘on the job’ to Aquila and Priscilla. When Silas and Timothy arrived some time later, Paul was “pricked in his conscience” and “gave his whole time to preaching the message” (TEV, v. 5) Paul later writes to the church at Corinth (with whom he had more problems than any other church he started) and says, “The only way I treated you differently from any other church was that I didn’t rely on you to support me. Forgive me this wrong.” (2 Corinthians 12:13)

      This is the whole story of Paul’s tent-making. But the myth (like all myths) adapts other facts to suit itself. So every time Paul mentions ‘work’, the myth inserts “for money” or “making tents” into the passage. In 1 Thessalonians 2:9 Paul says that he worked night and day preaching so that no one could charge him with failing to do his job. The tentmakers rephrase it thus: “I worked making tents during the day so I wouldn’t need to charge admission to my meetings at night.” Then, when Paul writes to them again (2 Thessalonians 3:7-12) saying not to let lazy people who refuse to work for God live and eat in their communes, the tentmakers change it to say, “Don’t let anyone attend your meetings who isn’t spending the rest of their time working for money from the system.”

      Note: You may need to check older translations of these passages to get one that hasn’t been altered to support the tentmaking bias. This is because churches today no longer live and eat together. They cannot imagine a situation where everyone in a community is working for love, and God is feeding them; so their cultural bias has reflected itself in the rendering of these passages.

      On a few other occasions Paul talks about working with your hands doing good, and these passages too have been re-written in modern translations to include phrases like “work for a living,” thus bringing money into the picture and effectively pushing God, love, and faith out. But every single check of the earliest manuscripts shows that no hint of money ever appeared in any of them.

      Show this article to any expert who supports the tentmaking myth and they will immediately hush up. In fact, the most incredible thing about the whole myth is that it is never publicly taught as a Christian doctrine (because it can be so easily shot to bits) and yet it is the most widely known and supported teaching in so-called Christianity. It is always taught surreptitiously and in bits and pieces, so that the teachers can feign innocence when confronted with the facts.

      This flimsiest of all false cornerstones persists in every denomination and cult. The simple truths stated in this article will not make one bit of difference to the millions who preach and practice the tentmaking myth. It never grew out of a desire to know the truth in the first place, and until their greed is replaced by faith in God’s provision, they’ll cling to it until their death.

      If you are making the same mistake of hiding behind the tentmakers, we must solemnly warn you that you’ll never sneak it by God Almighty. Jesus says, “Follow me and I will make you living tents of the Holy Spirit!””

      Like

  7. Johan says:

    I just had this thought and it will sound crazy since i might not use biblical reference to it. when GOD created the world everything was good until sin started to enter. i believe all of us here who reads this article knows the rest of the story.

    i believe JESUS came to restore our relationship with the FATHER. and here we are emphasising on how money can be bad for our relationship with GOD based on verses in the bible shown. interestingly it made me recall the story on how satan tempted JESUS using verses of the bible……and in one scene JESUS was told to jump from the highest point at.the temple which satan continue quoting verses from scripture……and what exactly was JESUS reply?

    i believe GOD wants us to build personal relationship with HIM and as written in 1john2:27 we can in fact tempting GOD by confirming with scriptural verses that not spoken to us by GOD.

    is a knife harmful? it can be……but it can also be used for good……same goes with money the very thing human made out of paper…… romans8:28

    we need to know who we are before GOD so that we will not easily be confirmed with what others said what we should be/doing. romans12:4-8 many parts different functions all work in one accord.

    finally i would thank the writer of this article for it challenge my mind and get me closer to GOD. it is good for you to have such conviction in your life about money however more importanly is getting people to know the truth (JESUS).

    Like

    • You’re right, Johan, it DOES sound a bit crazy to make a comparison between us and Satan for simply reminding people to follow/practice ALL of Jesus’ teachings, including some very difficult ones about money and possessions.

      After all, even the very last sentence in what you just wrote is all just a part of getting to know the truth, i.e. Jesus (& his teachings), is it not?

      Like

      • Thanks Johan for continuing to share your thoughts here. We are curious if you might be able to make some of your statements a bit clearer to those of us reading them. For instance, you wrote:
        i believe GOD wants us to build personal relationship with HIM and as written in 1john2:27 we can in fact tempting GOD by confirming with scriptural verses that not spoken to us by GOD.

        If we are understanding you correctly, you are saying 2 things here. In the verse you mention, 1 John 2:27, it seems that you are implying that you personally don’t need anyone to teach you, presumably no one else besides Jesus at least. We couldn’t agree more. The part that becomes confusing for us (and probably other people reading this) is that you are in fact trying to teach us. Can you recognize that? You SEEM to be implying that the issue you are really hoping we’ll see is that Jesus came to restore our relationship with God, BUT all of our talk about money issues that Jesus’ speaks about don’t really have much to do with restoring our relationship with God. Are we understanding you correctly?

        As we touched on in our last reply to you, it does bother us a bit that you have SEEMINGLY implied that we are following in the footsteps of Satan because we are somehow “tempting” God “by confirming with scriptural verses that (were?)not spoken to us by GOD.” You obviously know that the verses we used in the article “God vs. Money” were spoken by none other than Jesus himself. Are you saying those teachings don’t apply to you somehow, or that they have not yet “spoken to you?” We really do want to get a clearer idea of what you are saying, so please do correct us if we have misunderstood you.

        Another point we would hope you could clarify for us is in your quote here:
        we need to know who we are before GOD so that we will not easily be confirmed with what others said what we should be/doing. romans12:4-8 many parts different functions all work in one accord.

        It is definitely a good thing to “test all things” to see whether or not they are from God, so that we are not easily “confirmed with what others said what we should be/doing.” However, we believe that the teachings of Jesus in the Gospels are what we should test everything against. The fact is that if it is Jesus telling us what we should be doing, then we must try our best to conform to these things.

        Something that happens over and over when we share Jesus’ teachings as recorded in the Gospels with people who claim to believe in Him, we are immediately pointed to some things Paul said that could at least APPEAR to be challenging what Jesus taught. For example, when Jesus commands us to stop serving (working for) money and start serving (working for) God, (Matthew 6:24-34; John 6:27) most professing christians will list things from Paul’s letters such as Romans 12:4-8 like you have shared. But we need to be very careful that we are not choosing other parts of the bible that somehow APPEAR to challenge Jesus’ teachings. All Romans 12:4-8 seems to be saying is that we are all one body, but we may each have different particular gifts that are helpful to the body of Christ. Could you help us to understand what you were trying to share with those verses? And how they might be somehow construed by some as Paul telling us that the God or Money issue is not very relevant in our desire to help others know truth/Jesus?

        A quick question, Johan. Do you have a particular ministry where you are helping others to get to know Jesus? If so, what way do you often go about it? Do you tell them to try to obey Jesus’ teachings in the Gospels? Or have you found another way? We would definitely like to hear about any other way you have discovered to lead people to knowing Jesus.

        Looking forward to your reply!

        Like

  8. Johan says:

    I really am sorry for giving a wrong perspective. i have no intention at all to teach anyone….the way i’m writting probably influenced by my background where i’m not a native english speaking, for this again i would apologize for all for there are any misconceptions caused.

    definitely i wasn’t implying that the writer of this article was following foot step of satan in deceiving people. however for those who reads it yes it can be used by the devil to manipulate our mind .

    i believe everyone of us has their own personal calling, in this case for me….the writer of this article has its.own calling of teaching and “dissecting” bible so that it became clearer for us. however what i had in mind (again this due to my background where i knew money before GOD) was that not everyone has that ability…..how about for those whose really good at money making in which i believe GOD can use that person to support the ministry?

    we are born with different talents and ability, yes i do agree with the article but those with different talents should they leave everything and not living their life to GOD calling and follow what they thought better way and becoming stumbling block for the people around them?

    i would take Joseph for example…..if mammon is so bad and he start abandoning it……the whole isralite might wiped out of hunger. Now we live in a modern era where we do need money for buying groceries…..having an internet……and so on……true christian i believe is that those who live their life to GOD calling and work together (however this is being abandoned by most of us simply because of greed in which it show they dont believe in GOD) where those who can make money support others who are full time in ministry like the writer of this article (this is my own assumption sorry for.being wrong) and help each other out so that we are not depending on the non believer.

    this is what i meant by quoting 1john2:27 in which we are so called christians need to be mature in CHRIST and there is no reason for us not to read the bible so that GOD can speak to us directly

    Like

    • Thanks for sticking around, Johan, even if we don’t see eye to eye on these issues! =0)

      We’re quite happy to overlook any possible misunderstandings due to language differences, but we still can’t help but wonder about some of what you are saying, for example, you wrote:

      “definitely i wasn’t implying that the writer of this article was following (in the) foot steps of satan in deceiving people. However for those who reads it yes it can be used by the devil to manipulate our mind.”

      Do you think it’s possible that satan could still be using all of the words and quotes on this blog about TRYING to follow and PRACTICE the teachings of Jesus? Do you really believe that Satan would try to “trick” people into following Jesus’ words/commands? Maybe you could explain a little more about how that works in your mind?

      Aside from that, we understand what you’re saying about learning about money before learning about God. Is it possible that you haven’t really grown much past that since you keep saying things like this:

      “..how about for those whose really good at money making in which i believe GOD can use that person to support the ministry?”?

      When you deeply consider the truth of Christ when he says, “NO ONE can serve (work for) two masters, for you will either love one and despise the other or else be loyal to one and hate the other. YOU can NOT serve (work for) BOTH God AND money”, how do you see that Jesus is making room in that teaching for those who are “really good at making (i.e. serving; working for) money”? From what Jesus says here, someone who is “really good at making money” also seems to be really good at serving money instead of God.

      Most church people (“churchies”) seem to do what you’ve done here, taking a PARABLE or story Jesus told about “talents” as if it were a direct command or teaching he expects us to obey. But when it comes to the times where he’s NOT telling stories or parables, but giving very clear and direct teachings for his followers to practice/obey, we often find that they suddenly think that what he says is either irrelevant or else just try to turn those clear and direct teachings into parables or stories. Do you see what I’m saying?

      Here’s a good point you made that we agree with:

      “…true christian i believe is that those who live their life to GOD calling and work together (however this is being abandoned by most of us simply because of greed in which it show they don’t believe in GOD)”.

      Amen!! =0)

      Is it possible that their greed has also caused them to ignore just about everything Jesus said about not being able to serve (work for) God AND money?

      That’s what we’re seeing in the churches, and people everywhere are being taught that you can basically make up your own Jesus and ignore the One in the 4 gospels, especially when he says uncomfortable things that would actually make the world a MUCH better place.

      You (Johan) wrote:

      “…where those who can make money support others who are full time in ministry like the writer of this article (this is my own assumption sorry for being wrong) and help each other out so that we are not depending on the non believer.”

      That was the way that Jesus taught it and it was practiced for about two hundred years after he left, so we obviously like and agree with the IDEA here. Imagine a world, like our early 1st and 2nd century brothers and sisters in Christ lived in, where “believers” (I like the term “followers” better since even satan “believes” in God and Jesus!) lived together and shared ALL their possessions and money in common!

      Could you even begin to imagine people in most churches these days sharing their homes and cars and finances with each other?

      THAT would show the world how much we actually do literally love each other and desire to be in one accord with each other, along with Christ and the Father. “They will know you are My disciples by your love for one another.”

      However, can you also see that when people work at “regular” jobs in this $y$tem, they are VERY often being completely dependent on “non-believers” for their paycheck? So what makes a so-called Christian any different from their atheist co-worker, especially if they are BOTH working for an atheist employer?

      With that in mind, wouldn’t it make more sense to return to how Jesus and his earliest followers were living, learning to overcome our greed and desire to live just exactly like the world around us does? After all, if people (like our neighbors) didn’t have any idea that we were followers of Jesus, how would they way we live and work everyday look any different than anyone else to them?

      And finally, we mostly agree with your understanding and of 1st John 2:27 and how the holy spirit can teach us. But do you think the holy spirit is known for contradicting the actual teachings of Jesus? Notice the second part of that passage:

      “But just as His true and genuine anointing teaches you about all things, so remain in Him as you have been taught.”

      And look at how that completely relates to this passage from John 14:26:

      “But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit–the Father will send Him in My name–will teach you all things and remind you of everything I have told you.”

      “…and remind you of EVERYTHING I have told (taught) you.” After reading that, isn’t it kind of hard to imagine or assume that the holy spirit is going to be teaching us things that don’t line up with what Christ already taught?

      Like

      • In reply to Johan.

        Another quick reply, Johan.

        You wrote:
        i would take Joseph for example…..if mammon is so bad and he start abandoning it……the whole isralite (might have been) wiped out of hunger.

        We must keep in mind that stories of people like Joseph are recorded in the Old Testament, not the New Testament. Jesus turned everything upside down! We have to remember who our Lord and Savior is…JESUS, not Joseph. We are no longer living under the Old Testament, so we should not look for other “heroes” of the bible to contradict Jesus’ clear teachings to us, his followers.

        In the second part of that sentence, you wrote: Now we live in a modern era where we do need money for buying groceries…..having an internet……and so on

        If Joseph used mammon/money to “help” people through the famine way back in those days, then that clearly showed they used money, just the same as we use money today, for buying and selling. So even though we live in a “modern era” we basically operate the same way they lived back then. Can you see this?

        So the teaching of Jesus about God vs. Money still stands… it’s up to each one of us whether we will act on this teaching or ignore it.

        A side note: when you read the story you are referring to of Joseph and the famine, in Genesis 47, Joseph actually bought the people and made them slaves, and gave them food in return for their slavery. Would we want to hold this up as an example of the greatness of Joseph? What do you think Jesus would have done in that case?

        Like

  9. Johan says:

    Fiuh…….at least we can overcome the misunderstanding due to my language barrier. Yep after a while i started to get what you are saying here. oh…. regarding how satan can manipulate….i will try my best to explain. at the moment, when i read about work for GOD i’m having a difficulty to grasp the idea on how then we should provide for ourself and other followers? (sounds to me myself like i’m the one who is being deceived here lol)

    as for my understanding working for GOD simply means you don’t do regular job, you preach and preach (start to exegerrate things here) then are we suppose to wait for the angels send by GOD yo support us? maybe this misconception in my thinking may cause the misunderstanding in my previous comments.

    say if we have the business and we are the one that run them down would that consider as working for money as well? in the culture i grew up, those who do not work will be labeled as sluggard, lazy, and all other negative labeled you can think of. how then for someone who has such labeled can be effective in preaching GOD words(aren’t we suppose to be salt and light) in which salt will be in no form when is blending but it has a distinguish taste where i thought it can be seen as…..yes people can’t see any differences but there is this ‘taste’ that makes us different from the rest

    saying all that, do you mind sharing with me/us on what you do on daily basis? maybe it can help me to broaden up my view about living

    Like

    • Good to know we’re getting beyond some of the language barriers. Just so you know, you’re doing a pretty good job overall of communicating! =0)

      You said:
      “When i read about working for GOD i’m having a difficulty to grasp the idea on how then we should provide for ourselves and other followers? As for my understanding working for GOD simply means you don’t do regular job, you preach and preach (start to exaggerate things here) then are we suppose to wait for the angels send by GOD to support us?”

      Well in a way, yeah! Ha! Even though we don’t usually assume most of the people supporting our work are LITERALLY angels, we do believe that acts of love are acts of God, and that

      “EVERYONE who LOVES has been born of God and knows God.” (1st John 4:7)

      SHARING is a way of expressing love, especially in the context of people giving from the heart and supporting each other materially. It lines up perfectly with the whole idea of actually “loving your neighbor as yourself”, wouldn’t you agree?

      So ONE way we go about the WORK of “preaching” is by creating our own art/comics with messages about following Jesus’ teachings and we simply ask people to contribute whatever they are able IF they support the message and work. Obviously, if they have no interest then we wouldn’t expect them to help in any way.

      In this way, we’re not automatically separating people into categories of “believers” and “non-believers” since we’re actually looking for FOLLOWERS of Jesus, whether or not they call themselves that or even go to church, since anyone, including the devil, can claim to “believe” in Christ AND go to church! Believe it or not, Jesus was much more interested in what we DO, not so much in what we SAY we believe.

      “Why do you CALL me ‘lord, lord’ and yet REFUSE to obey my teachings?” (Luke 6:46)

      Like

  10. Johan says:

    Could anyone please elaborate more about mathew 27:57…… it is quite interesting on how it has to mention the word rich to describe a person who then followed by his status being JESUS disciple?

    Like

    • Hi Johan,

      Before getting into answering your last question, it would be nice to know if you can see that you’re not really addressing the points we’re making but instead just keep looking for loopholes that you seem to want to slip yourself through, kind of like a camel fitting through the eye of a (sewing) needle when it comes to the specific things Jesus taught about money and possessions. Can you see that?

      Rather than using Jesus’ actual words/teachings/commands for how we should live, especially if you claim that he is your Lord and Savior, you keep trying to bring up points that you hope let you (and the rich in general) off the hook. Why do you think that is?

      Rather than trying to find and follow the words of our Master, the Christ, we often find people all over the world who try to use other parts of the bible to excuse themselves from even TRYING to put Jesus’ teachings into practice. But you don’t have to be one of them, Johan. We know that the teachings of Jesus are difficult, but they are also powerfully beautiful and, if practiced by those of us claiming his name, they would make the world an amazingly better place than the hell-hole it is becoming more so everyday.

      “Everyone who hears these words of mine and does them is like a wise man who built his house on rock…Everyone who hears these words of Mine and does not act on them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand.The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and it fell– and great was its fall.”

      Let’s look at some other powerful teachings that Jesus gave for ALL his followers/believers/disciples, which includes us, right up to this day:

      “In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples.” (Luke 14:33)

      “Sell your possessions, and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” (Luke 12:33-34)

      With just these two passages in mind, not to mention so much more in the rest of the New Testament that confirm and strengthen Jesus’ teachings, such as Acts 2 & 4 where we see the early church members literally selling all they had and giving to the poor, how do you suppose Joseph, alone, got to avoid Christ’s requirements while all the other “believers” (followers, remember?) were expected to and followed through with letting go of their own wealth and possessions?

      Should we base our entire life on Jesus and his teachings or follow in the footsteps of others like Joseph of Arimathea, without any clear leading from Jesus’ teachings to do so? No matter what we make of the apparent inconsistency of Joseph being a rich man AND a supposed disciple, there’s nothing in this that indicates we should ignore Christ and do what Joseph did.

      After all, is Joseph of Arimathea “the way, the truth, and the life”?

      Like

    • One final thought to add about Joseph of Arimathea:

      One thing we really need to consider is the way Joseph of Arimathea is described in John 19:38:

      “Later on, Joseph of Arimathea, who was a disciple of Jesus (though a secret one because he was afraid of the Jewish leaders), asked Pilate to let him remove the body of Jesus. Pilate gave him permission, and he came and removed his body.”

      So Joseph was considered a disciple, but a SECRET one, because of his FEAR.

      Not only is Joseph considered a “secret” and “fearful” disciple, but when we look at these passages from Mark 14:63-65, it appears that Joseph didn’t raise any objections and may have even joined in on the beating of Christ by all the members of the Sanhedrin when they ALL agreed and accused Jesus of blasphemy.

      Like the apostle Peter, who went so far as denying Christ 3 times, but certainly didn’t join in on beating him, we all give into fear and doubt from time to time, but does this really sound like a follower of Jesus?

      Again, we have to weigh all this up against what Jesus himself taught about what it means to be his follower/disciple, as mentioned above.

      Like

      • Johan says:

        I have no intention to find a loophole, it is just how i learn by asking questions and i know it can be bothersome. however the argument regarding joseph was fearful…..if we look closely at JESUS own disciples…..only Peter managed to follow JESUS (which we know that he denied HIM later on) where are all the others? in fact eventhough Joseph was fearful he managed to overcome his fear by asking the body of JESUS. This all was just my assumption and no biblical reference to it.

        i dont mean to start on this discussion coz it is definitely becoming out of context. again i would thank you for your time and willingness to explain. im still try to digest the concept as it is extremely the opposite direction on what i knew all this long.

        Like

      • Hi Johan,

        We don’t find your questions bothersome, we have just answered these same questions/objections many, MANY times before.

        You have raised a valid point about the other disciples being fearful. After the resurrection however, they all became fearless and began teaching
        everyone about the Gospel Jesus taught. So regarding Jesus’ command to “go into all the world and make disciples, teaching them to obey whatever
        I commanded you to do” (Matthew 28:19-20) do we know if Joseph obeyed this command, or was he still another “exception” to the rule?

        You wrote:
        im still try to digest the concept as it is extremely the opposite direction on what i knew all this long.

        We understand that this can be a difficult teaching to accept (Matthew 6:24-34) since almost everyone in the world has been taught otherwise.
        However, if we want to call ourselves christians, we have to try and obey the teachings of Christ, even the hard ones.

        Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.

        (Matthew 16:24)

        And…

        If anyone is ashamed of ME and MY MESSAGE, the Son of Man will be ashamed of that person when he returns in his glory and in the glory of the Father and the holy angels.

        (Luke 9:26)

        So how about you, Johan? If we accept that Jesus came to die for our sins, then we also have to accept that He came to teach us how to live. There’s
        no middle ground between being a believer and being a follower of Jesus. We never know what day our lives will end, so doesn’t it make the most sense to start obeying Him now?

        “Anyone who isn’t with me opposes me, and anyone who isn’t working with me is actually working against me.

        (Matthew 12:30)

        Now that you ARE aware of these things, how will you respond?

        Like

  11. johan says:

    You were saying that all the other disciples were becoming fearless. As for me myself, i hardly remember any other disciples being mentioned after JESUS resurrection other than Peter, John, Mark and Luke since they wrote the book. Again my reply here is not to start another pointless argument.

    To answer your question about how will i respond after knowing all this…..i believe it will be an idiocy to ignore the truth. living for JESUS means that we live a fruitful life isn’t it. And when we talk about being fruitful, i know for sure it is more into spiritual fruit that is explained in Galatians rather than earthly riches and abundance.

    Back then i thought by having much money i could help GOD expand HIS kingdom (pffffffttttt such a rubbish…..) instead my heart is shifting more into money than GOD. Then lately i started to realize something is wrong. i never felt enough even if i lack nothing and i believe this can be considered as greed because Solomon said that whoever loves money will never have money enough and whoever loves wealth will not be satisfied with his income.

    Then in new testaments that emphasise is repeated by JESUS HIMSELF………it is not easy to change my own precepts and wrong believes….but thank GOD that HE is able to do the impossible as said by JESUS in answering the question of his disciple on who can then be saved.

    since then on i felt like i was stupid (just my own self condemning voice) by not partaking in what i know it can give pleasure to myself with the money i have. then i found out this web where i can openly being an “idiot” of this world.

    thank you for keeping up with my “idiocy” and stubborness of mine.

    Like

    • Actually, Johan, the New Testament records that Jesus showed himself to the 11 disciples after his resurrection. But this is a side issue.

      It’s great to hear that you plan on acting on the truth of Jesus’ teachings with regard to serving God instead of money. Have you thought about how exactly you will begin to put into practice this particular teaching? If you want further advice from us about how you could go about this, we would be quite happy to help you along. By the way, if you don’t mind us asking, where do you live now?

      With regards to being an “idiot”, we wouldn’t say that you are an idiot at all. If you are moving in the direction of willing to “lose your life” (Matthew 16:25) so that you can truly live for Jesus, than that is much wiser than walking on the broad road that leads to destruction. (Matthew 7:13).

      So please feel free to continue sharing here and asking any questions you wish.

      Like

  12. Johan says:

    I live in indonesia right now. On how do i start to put into practice this particular teaching……at the moment i have the option of continuing family business or else. Currently i’m trying to earn from forex trading for living.

    why do i choose forex…..because in that business i could earn something for living without any dependence on humanly “boss”. I spent on max 2-3 hours where the rest i spend it with my family and friends.

    If you have any advice that would be great to consider.

    Like

    • It’s great to see you more deeply considering ways to practice the teaching of Jesus, Johan!

      The easiest answer we can give is to keep asking God how to go about it all, but we’re glad that you’re seeking advice from others who are also trying to follow Christ’s commands.

      You mentioned that you work for Forex Trading as your current job. As far as I can tell, what Forex does is just buy and sell currencies, is that right?
      That’s a very “interesting” job, Johan. You really can’t get any closer to working for (and with) money than that! Just think of what that job consists of. You actually just buy and sell MONEY! Isn’t it strange to think that we can make money by selling money?! There’s not even a worthwhile product (like food) that is being sold for a profit. Wow! Does selling money seem strange to you at all, when you really think about it?

      Now, to get back to your primary question of how you can begin to practice this teaching of Jesus (work for God not for money), there are a number of ways you can get started now. Since you are only working about 2-3 hrs per day for money, that gives you plenty of time the rest of the day. (Of course, the goal is to stop working for money at all). You could offer to help people by doing jobs for them for no money at all. If you have a particular talent in some area, like fixing computers, you can offer your services for free. Do you have something you know how to do that would be very helpful to others? You see, most people will not do any work for anyone else unless they are given money in return. You can do “free work” projects for people, using whatever particular skill you have. Doing this kind of thing SHOWS people how the world would look if we worked for love and for free. Do you understand so far? One other thing you could do is perform these jobs, and allow people to share with you any kind of donation they choose, whether that’s a small donation of money, or food, or anything else they would give you. But you have to be willing to do it all for free, and accept whatever gift they MIGHT want to give you, even if they choose to give nothing at all. Your motive should be showing love rather than expecting anything.

      But the next part of working for God is to share the rest of Jesus’ teachings with others. Doing free work for others is giving them a sample of the Kingdom of Heaven that Jesus spoke so often about, but we also need to share the rest of Jesus’ teachings with others. This is where the command in Matthew 28:19-20 comes in: “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey all that I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”…

      You could try starting conversations with people about this particular topic of working for God instead of Money, by approaching people you meet on the street, at the market, on the bus…wherever people are around. You could make a sign, asking others what they think about Jesus’ teachings in the Gospels. We recommend using some of the teachings of Jesus that NO ONE ever talks about, because your job as a Christian is to share ALL of Jesus’ teachings. So you could make a sign with the verses in Matthew 6:24-34, and ask if anyone wants to talk about what this teaching means.

      Another very powerful teaching of Jesus that NO church talks about is found in Luke 14:33:
      In the same way, none of you can be my disciple unless he gives up all his possessions.” You could ask people if Jesus really meant what He said here. Again, this is another teaching that is part of the God or Money teaching, because Jesus is saying that we have to forsake ALL of our possessions if we want to be a Christian. Obviously, it’s going to seem strange to others if you are asking them whether or not they are willing to follow these teachings if you are not practicing them yourself. But if you are at least willing to get out there and share Jesus’ teachings, that’s a beginning. Just be prepared, because about 99% of “christians” you share these teachings with are going to fight against them in a number of different ways. This is why it is so very important to work with other true followers of Jesus, so that you have someone who will encourage you to follow Jesus even when most of the people won’t.

      So, what do you think, Johan? Are you willing to try these suggestions? Can’t wait to hear more from you!

      Like

  13. Johan says:

    Hahahahahaha…….wow……hate to admit it but i like your
    choice of words ‘interesting’. Honestly when JESUS said that
    you need to forsake everything to follow HIM, based on what
    i had been taught all these time…….. HE was speaking
    figuratively rather than literally.

    it bugs me a lot whenever i read about the rich young man
    asking JESUS how to get eternal life while he had been doing
    all he could in keeping the laws…..and JESUS told him to sell
    everything, give to the poor and follow HIM. I was assuming
    that JESUS was “testing” that guy just like GOD tested
    Abraham to give his son where when he about to kill his son
    GOD stoped him and kabbommmm everything back to normal
    as if nothing happened and Abraham got closer to GOD

    Another reason why i hesitate soooooooooo much about this
    matter……back then yes…..JESUS called HIS disciples to leave
    their job and follow HIM and yet in return they see JESUS
    miraculous power……which then later on that “miraculous
    power” was passed on to the disciples. And here i am having
    no miraculous power whatsoever talk about the words of GOD
    that i boast being powerful and yet my life is not attractive
    enough to be the example in following GOD…..do you get it or
    am i making things complicated?

    another reason was i tried so hard to convince myself to the
    point of deceiving myself in thinking maybe this “power” = wealth
    i will use it wisely as long as my heart stay with GOD. it is a matter
    of heart isnt it?

    just wondering…..do you have family who support your way of
    living (parent…..wife….kids)?

    p.s. i know i started to be irritating but i have no intention to
    do so….it is just how i learn and sit to think before i follow
    something so that i will not back off in the middle of the journey

    and before i forgot…..another thing that people can laugh at
    me is……i’m using romans8:28 to convince on how money can
    be used by GOD to fulfil HIS plans…..it is how we handle it that
    determine whether we are for GOD or against HIM.

    Like

    • Hi Johan,

      Well, where do I begin?

      One thing that I noticed right from the start is that you did not make any comment at all about our suggestions/advice on ways you could begin to work for God right now. You asked us very specifically how you could start practicing this teaching of Jesus, and then you don’t say anything about our attempts to help you in that direction. Why is that?

      Your first point about being taught that Jesus was speaking figuratively and not literally in this case is what we have been trying to explain for quite some time now. When Jesus is speaking in parables, it’s clear he is not speaking/teaching in a literal way. These are stories meant to convey a truth he is trying to get across. However, in the case of the teaching he gives in Matthew 6:24-34, he is clearly giving a teaching that he expects us to put into practice every day. The churches love to take the clear teachings/instructions/commands of Jesus and dismiss them, saying that he was only speaking “figuratively.” We can point you to a BUNCH of Jesus’ teachings/instructions/commands in the Gospels that Jesus very clearly intends for us to obey, but the churches once again DECIEVE us by telling us that he didn’t mean what he actually said.

      Can you explain what you mean when you say you are “bugged” every time you read about the rich young ruler? What bothers you about it? Do you think Jesus was being too hard on the rich young ruler? Jesus said that wherever your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Isn’t it supremely clear that the rich young rulers’ treasure was his money and possessions? What makes you think Jesus was merely “testing” him, when his followers weren’t simply “tested” by Jesus in the same way? They believed what he said, and took him at face value; literally. See how this clever deception doesn’t work here?

      You mention that Jesus meant what he said “back then” but somehow his words don’t apply to any of us today who want to follow him. How do you come to that conclusion? You might want to pray deeply about these particular verses:

      “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” (Hebrews 13:8)

      “Those who say they live in God should live their lives as Jesus did.” (1 John 2:6)

      “Whoever says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in that person.” (1 John 2:4)

      “Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say? (Luke 6:46)

      “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
      (Matthew 7:21)

      “But anyone who hears my teaching and doesn’t obey it is foolish, like a person who builds a house on sand.” (Matthew 7:26)

      If anyone is ashamed of me and my message, the Son of Man will be ashamed of that person when he returns in his glory and in the glory of the Father and the holy angels. (Luke 9:26)

      When you talk about not having power, you may want to seriously consider why that is. Jesus isn’t going to give you “power” to just go and work for money. We are given power specifically for the purpose of spending our lives preaching the teachings and life of Jesus.

      But you will receive POWER when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere–in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” (Acts 1:8)

      But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and WILL REMIND you of everything I have said to you. (John 14:26)

      You wrote: another reason was i tried so hard to convince myself to the
      point of deceiving myself in thinking maybe this “power” = wealth
      i will use it wisely as long as my heart stay with GOD. it is a matter
      of heart isnt it?

      You said it yourself, Johan. You are deceiving yourself here. There’s really not a “polite” way to put it. Just to be clear, Jesus never said that we couldn’t use money as his followers, but he did say that we couldn’t serve (work for) it.

      I don’t understand how you are using Romans 8:28 to justify not obeying Jesus’ teachings about serving God or money. There’s a famous saying: “If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.” The real heart of the matter is not that you CAN’T really begin to take Jesus’ teachings seriously, it’s more that it seems like you WON’T act on them. A friend of mine once said that if there was going to be a place in heaven for “christians” who did NOT try to obey Jesus, it would have to be a very BIG part of heaven, because it would be filled by just about every person who claims to be a “christian.”
      Unless you really want to follow Jesus more than anything else, you will convince (deceive) yourself in a million ways about how you are following Jesus “in your own way” which will not look at all like what he taught his followers to do.

      I hope I’m not coming across as being too hard, because that’s not my intention here. Like we have told you before, we have heard almost every excuse/deception that “christians” come up with to avoid the teachings of Jesus in their lives. We are praying for you, that you would not be like so many others who are taking an ETERNALLY HUGE chance that Jesus actually DID NOT intend for us to try and obey his teachings.

      Like

  14. Johan says:

    Thank you for your concerns, prayer and explanations in
    elaborating the words of GOD.

    i tried to read it again matthew and luke about serving two
    masters. it is interesting on how it is written in 2 different
    context. indeed in matthew we were asked not to worry about
    what we are going to eat, drink or wear. However in luke JESUS
    said something about wordly riches being entrusted and how
    we should steward it which then he continued saying about
    serving two masters

    i will try to explain on how i stated about romans8:28. In that
    verse it said that in all things GOD can work…..therefore working
    is included in all things. and i believe it is more of our heart that
    matters so much since JESUS didnt bring religion but relationship.
    Judas left everything and yet his heart still clinging to money
    which eventually “kill” him in the end.

    And if i’m not mistaken some of the woman that “support” JESUS
    luke8:3 , one of them was Herod manager or something. So when
    we work we do it as if we do it for CHRIST and we can see whether
    we bearing fruit of spirit in our life.

    About the advice you gave…..i try to do what i can do without asking
    for money in return.

    Like

    • Ayub says:

      you cannot serve God and money.
      in my way of reasoning, I think that example you gave about working in a restaurant and a clothing store at the same time does not explain this statement the way it is..someone can work part-time in both.. Jesus asumes serving God is full-time, same as money, and we are not good in multitasking…now my question is:
      #what can possibly happen if I chose to serve money??

      Like

      • That is true that you can work two (or more!) part time jobs without necessarily “cheating” one or the other. But you’re right that God expects us to work for Him and His kingdom FULL time. And similarly, you wouldn’t be able to work full time in two or more paid jobs either. So that is what we meant in our example of not being able to work at multiple jobs.

        To answer your question, if you choose to work for money, you will be reliant on money to provide for all of your needs. Look at the world around you, and you’ll see that almost everyone is relying on money to take care of everything they need. But often times, they live sad and meaningless lives, wasting away all their precious time doing something they hate. (Only the lucky few have jobs that they love.) And the materialistic standards of the world leave people feeling like they never have enough money for the things that they think they need. But God knows what we TRULY need and if you seek to serve Him instead of money in your daily life, then He will provide for you (Matthew 6:31-33). If you want more information on how to start living your life for the glory of God, please email us. God bless.

        Like

  15. What you have said poses many questions. What if someone is paid for ministry? Where did that person get their money and if they didnt work for it than where will they get it? From another working person? Or from some other means. I know the word for money also means mammon or possessions. And also Jesus describes some people as those who are not fruitful because the cares of word and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word. I see that paul also speaks to timothy saying:

    As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy. They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life.
    1 Timothy 6:17‭-‬19 ESV
    http://bible.com/59/1ti.6.17-19.ESV

    So is there some way it is ok to be rich? James 5:1-6 does not encourage the rich.

    Come now, you rich, weep and howl for the miseries that are coming upon you. Your riches have rotted and your garments are moth-eaten. Your gold and silver have corroded, and their corrosion will be evidence against you and will eat your flesh like fire. You have laid up treasure in the last days. Behold, the wages of the laborers who mowed your fields, which you kept back by fraud, are crying out against you, and the cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of hosts. You have lived on the earth in luxury and in self-indulgence. You have fattened your hearts in a day of slaughter. You have condemned and murdered the righteous person. He does not resist you.
    James 5:1‭-‬6 ESV
    http://bible.com/59/jas.5.1-6.ESV

    What does it look like for you all to serve the Lord and not money, in your own day to day experience.
    What do you think of the teacher Todd white? Search Youtube (Lifestyle Christianity)

    I have a small debt of $2300 I am paying off. I am also renting and I ask, what do I do? Im working to pay off the debt and then I want to go into mininstering

    Like

    • Also

      But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.
      1 Timothy 5:8 ESV
      http://bible.com/59/1ti.5.8.ESV

      This means someone should provide for his household . What does this mean?

      Like

    • Hi there. Thanks for commenting! It seems that you answer many of your own questions. The Bible, and especially the New Testament–indeed, Jesus Himself–makes it quite clear that being Christian and being rich are often polar opposites (Luke 18:24-25, Matthew 6:19-20, Luke 6:20 & 24).

      As for getting paid for ministry work, this would contradict Jesus’ teaching about God OR money. He makes it so clear that YOU CANNOT WORK FOR GOD AND MONEY AT THE SAME TIME. Yes, that means that even if a person is preaching the Gospel and they receive a paycheck, that person is not working for God because they are really working for that material compensation. If they continued doing this work without expecting any pay, only then would they be working for God. We believe that there is room for grace if the person simply has no idea that Jesus taught about working for God instead of money. But God does hold us accountable for what we do know.

      Regarding your situation with debt (and rent), we would be more than happy to offer you personal advice via email. Feel free to contact us at: radicallynewlife@gmail.com

      But in the meantime, you can watch a good video on this topic of debt here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnTOntrZbrQ&t=1s

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s